- Actively working in the propane industry since 1989
- Currently the Chief Inspector for the Nevada Board for the Regulation of Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- 11 years volunteer fire service
- LP-Gas emergency response trainer (live fire) since 1995
- Black Rock City Fuels (propane team) since 2003
- Burning Man Fire Arts Safety Team (FAST) since 2003
- Flame Effects for the Artist instructor and co-founder since 2005
- NFPA technical committee member for the following standards
- NFPA 54 – National Fuel Gas Code
- NFPA 58 – Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code
- NFPA 59 – Utility LP-Gas Plant Code
- NFPA 160 – Standard for the Use Flame Effects Before an Audience
- Co-creator of the Spire of Fire
Dave X, Fire Safety Manager for Burning Man for more than 10 years.
As a child Dave X sought out activities considered naughty by some including his parents. In doing so he noticed that through the organization of others he could achieve greater levels of naughtiness.
As he grew older Dave X was always looking behind the curtain to see who the wizard really was and how his mysterious machines worked. It was only natural that he would bring the traits of organization and mechanical curiosity together in his future work.
In 1992 he was lured to the Black Rock Desert when he discovered a strange group called The Cacophony Society. Wonders and curiosities were discovered as he crossed to a new reality and he knew he had seen the future. This future was made of wood and stood tall and proud on the desert floor before taking flight to the spirits in a blaze of fire. In 1999 after several years of creating large-scale fire installations he realized that the use of fire and fuel had grown to a tipping point. He saw that the time had come to either self regulate its use or face outside regulation.
Under the guidance of Crimson Rose he began his career with the Performance Safety Team and sought trainings and licensing so that he could create guidelines for the use of fire and fuels that would ensure the spectacle and ritual of their use while preventing their misuse. Dave X is now the Manager of the Fire Art Safety Team and holds several certifications for fuel management, a fire art instructor as well as being a licensed Pyrotechnic Operator.